On this day - Siberian Accentor

On this day in 2016... Siberian Accentor.

Hands down the best bird I’ve seen on my birthday. I’ve seen lots of good stuff on October 14th over the years; Red-flanked Bluetail at Minsmere, Great White Egret when they were still scarce, local Curlew Sandpiper and Black Redstart. 

The Sibe Acc takes the birthday crown though. The whole day was mystical. Driving overnight with Mal for my Spurn debut, waiting for the light to get up - with thrushes and Robins pouring overhead and in seemingly every bit of vegetation. The light getting up, just enough to see the bird - then realising there was literally hundreds of people also waiting in the tree belt for a glimpse too. 

The sheer delight and relief that the bird was still there! Getting views and then going on from Easington to bird Spurn itself for the first time. Absolutely magical...

Siberian Accentor - Easington - October 2016

As well as the accentor other top birds, I recall; Olive-backed Pipit, Great Grey Shrike, Ringed Ouzel, Shore Lark, Short-eared Owl, Redstart and plague numbers of Robin and Goldcrest. There was also the top people - I think I met all of the great and the good in British bird watching - on one day and in one place. A truly magic birthday and days birding...

Comments

Popular Posts