On this day - Upland Sandpiper

Having made my Scilly debut just weeks earlier - I knew the logistics; overnight drive to Penzance, hop on the helicopter and - bang - you’re birding on Scilly!

Following our earlier visit I’d kept my eye-in on the news and watched how an ever increasing roll-call of would-be lifers materialized on the islands. 

It got to the point where I couldn’t ignore it and with friends already staying on the isles I engineered a long weekend visit to coincide with my birthday. On this second visit to the isles, I recall seeing Short-toed Lark, Northern Waterthrush, Least Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs and Upland Sandpiper over just a few days. Mind-boggling birding!

Upland Sandpiper in particular felt rare, other-worldly, like a bug-eyed, skinny Stone Curlew. Almost cartoon proportioned, with the small head and bulging eye. 

Upland Sandpiper - St Mary's - October 2011

Upland Sandpiper - St Mary's - October 2011

From the grasslands in Midwest America to a stubble field a bulb field at Borough Farm, St Mary’s. I remember feeling I was watching a truly rare and exotic bird at the time. Happy memories... 

Comments

Popular Posts