Dunwich

News of a Greater Yellowlegs at Dunwich shore pools broke on Saturday 07th November just two days after the start of Lockdown 2. I was resided to the fact I would not be seeing this 3rd for Suffolk until early December and after lockdown. If indeed it stayed that long. I made do with admiring full frame shots of this Nearctic beaut on Twitter. 

Sunrise - Dunwich - November 2020

Roll on a week; I am told I am on site Monday morning, just a stones throw away from Dunwich! Hurrah! All the bird has to do is wait for one more weekend, to be safely installed on both my Suffolk AND life lists! Exciting times and reprieve for concentrating on my local crossbills and not hammering over the coast, like every other Suffolk birder. I've already received hate mail on twitter for having gone to see the bird - I love it! Would you work a mile down the road and not go and see a lifer? I made my mind up and I am entirely comfortable with my decision. 

With an eleven hour working day to fulfill I got down to Dunwich beach car park before 07:00 and well before dawn. There was one other birder there, presumably also working in the area for the day? I marched along the shingle and admired a Great White Egret and a smart male Marsh Harrier. All before the sun had even risen. 

Great White Egret - Dunwich - November 2020

As I approached the shore pools I could see Dunlin, plenty of Redshank, but nothing with yellow legs. I continued on to the deeper pools, closer to the Walberswick end. Before the sun had even hit the water I spotted the Greater Yellowlegs. Delighted! I saw my first ever Lesser Yellowlegs just a couple of miles away at Walberswick back in 2009. It was pretty trippy seeing the bigger cousin, not far away, on the same stretch of coastline. My photos aren't the best, but you can still see the yellow legs and awesomeness:

Greater Yellowlegs - Dunwich - November 2020

Greater Yellowlegs - Dunwich - November 2020

Greater Yellowlegs - Dunwich - November 2020

Greater Yellowlegs - Dunwich - November 2020
Opticron weapon - Dunwich - November 2020

The walk back to the car was equally productive, with another Great White Egret, close Redshanks and Stonechat and plenty of Red Deer.

Great White Egret - Dunwich - November 2020

Redshank - Dunwich - November 2020

Stonechat - Dunwich - November 2020

Red Deer - Dunwich - November 2020

Red Deer - Dunwich - November 2020

Comments

Popular Posts