Forest King

Raven - November 2020

Although some Suffolk birders did not seem to get the memo - we are now thick into Lockdown 2. As a moral, sensible chap, with iron resolve, it is easy for me to ignore the two lifers parading themselves on the coast. Namely; Eastern/ Alaskan Wagtail and Greater Yellowlegs. I am happy to enjoy my local birds. After all, I don't want the emotional burden of having killed someones gran because I went on a twitch, became a super spreader and Covided old Ethel of her mortal coil. I am old fashioned like that, I think killing grans is pretty bad. 

So. with daily exercise to play with, I decided a pedal around the forest was in order. Dove Step team mate Nick was similarly inclined and approached from the Thetford side, allowing us a few hours prime local birding. I am still hell bent of finding Crosbills and find Crossbills we did - as well as Redpolls, Woodlark and stars of the show; a pair of Raven:

Raven - November 2020

Raven - November 2020

Raven - November 2020
I have two Raven tattooed to my chest, I do see them as a massive portent, to see birds at the beginning of Lockdown 2 and the start of my training block for the next Dove Step is a sure sign; I am on the right path. 

Moving back to Crossbills, they have been a favoured bird for years, I love 'em. I even used to go by the moniker of 'Jonny Crossbill' on BirdForum, remember BirdForum? I presume that is in the same online bin as MySpace now? RIP BirdForum. Anyway, a day in the forest watching Crossbill is always a good day. Back in 2013 I noticed an increase in Crossbill numbers locally and also the wide variation in calls and bill-sizes. Ultimately, this led to me finding a flock of Parrot Crossbill at Mayday Farm, with good friend Lee. Very happy memories:

Parrot Crossbill - Mayday Farm - December 2013

Something similar is occurring right now, with singles and small groups encountered throughout the forest and of course the occasional super flock. Like the one encountered at Mayday Farm last weekend. I am also hearing 'different' calls to the expected chips and glips I am used to. As such it was great to call in an expert, one of those peculiar bods who has started sound recording everything, for that audio as well as visual bird watching experience. Enter Mr Nick Moran. Nocmig advocate and daymig practitioner!

I shared a recording with Nick after Mal and me birded Mayday Farm last week, which he kindly sonogramed for me:

Common Crossbill - Mayday Farm - November 2020

The sonogram corresponds with Common Crossbill and Nick turned me on to Thijs Fijen's Crossbill flight calls. This is all new territory for me, but I love it because it makes sense of the differing sounds I am hearing in the forest. The bird from Mayday last weekend is perhaps closest to Fijen's type D call and if I understand correctly, is the commonplace 'chip' call.

Before meeting me yesterday Nick also recorded, perhaps the second most commonly heard call 'glip' call:

Common Crossbill - Thetford Warren - November 2020

This corresponds roughly with the 'v' striations of Fijen's type C recordings. 

So all our local birds at present are 'just' Common's but it is exciting to have a focus over the coming lockdown weeks. Even on my iPhone I can get recordings, such as the Mayday one above, so it's all to play for! 

Common Crossbill - November 2020 - Nick Moran 

Aside from Raven and Crossbill worship we clocked 14 miles of daily exercise, represented with our Optricon Traveler ED's and not a single gran was harmed! 

Dual attack from Nick - binocular and sound recorder

Just the standard binocular approach from me

Red Deer - November 2020

Sunrise - November 2020




Comments

  1. Hi interesting blog post. The sonogram you show looks like an N6. The main core ranges is roughly in northern England and Scotland as well as North Wales as shown in Ralph Martin and Julien Rochefort excellent recent papers. I had a pair of N6 that bred in South wales this year - with still a single bird close to my house the last weeks in this last lockdown.
    all the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts