Fornham All Saints, Culford and Lackford

I type just hours away from returning to work. The freedoms of the Christmas break have been exquisite - I feel replenished, focused and ready to utterly destroy 2022. In the face.

Little Egret - Lackford Lakes - 03rd January 2022

I spent my last day of freedom completing a 16 mile march around nearby waterbodies, loosely falling either side of the River Lark. The trek added no less than 16 species to my year total. A tick per mile! 

Gadwall was a surprisingly late addition today, given they use the river and angling pool right next to the house, Wigeon fell as I moved up the valley as did Tufted Duck at Culford and Pochard was waiting for me on Lackford sailing lake. I pleased with the wildfowl selection after 3 days of effort:

Water Rail leapt out of a flooded field edge and retreated to the reeds at Lackford Green and my first Redwing of the year were also in scrub on the edge of Lackford village - gorgeous birds. I had Kingfisher at several sites including both ends of the Lackford reserve. Cetti's were incredibly thin on the ground - with just one calling bird at the south end of Lackford. I have had them as close as 2 miles from home along the Lark. Nuthatch fell in damp woodland between Fornham and Culford village. I had my first Greenfinch, Siskin and Reed Bunting of the year too - Siskin in particular are stunning wee birds. 

This still leaves me with plenty of targets for the remainder of the month; another grey goose - most likely White-front?, wild swans, Goosander (increasingly scarce in West Suffolk), Grey Partridge, Woodcock (only had 2 last year! 1 per winter period), Great Black-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Sparrowhawk! any owl! Peregrine, Tree Sparrow, Brambling, Bullfinch and Lesser Redpoll all need to be secured. 

Coal Tit and Treecreeper I have heard - but want to see to tick off for the year - which could be any day... 

Woodlark, Stonechat, Crossbill and even Goshawk are all available via a bike ride into the forest. My secret weapon for this will hopefully be procured this week at a local bike shop... 

Kestrel - Fornham All Saints - 03rd January 2022


Goldeneye - Lackford - 03rd January 2022

Snipe feeding holes - Lackford - 03rd January 2022



Comments

Popular Posts