Cley Marshes

Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

Today was a day. A human calendar day, beyond the capabilities of most men. Lesser men. Men that do not want to start an incredibly successful birder related fitness coaching platform. More on that later...

So, my bezzie Mal and I fancied a bit of raptor action, a Norfolk Honey Buzzard experience if you will. Rocking it like it's 2010. Yet, we also like water birds and over-achieving. So we got up pre Sparrow's Fart and made our way to North Norfolk. I should say - we are not Chelsea tractor driving, second home owning, over-breeding scum (no offence). We travelled in Mal's Tesla with freshly ground, gourmet coffee beans and sublime chat - like reasonable people and arrived at Cley Coast Guards for 07:00... 

Spoonbill - Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

I lifered Night Heron in this view - Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

Mal - Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

The problem is, we are actually utter savages. No matter how much soap, good manners and Tesla is applied. We are closer to Uhtred and our marauding forefathers than your latte swilling average. Sometimes I wonder why I sleep in a bed, in a house? 

Spoonbill - Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

Anyway, a week since the last Night Heron report and with no expectation or shits given, we rolled up to Cley for a bit of cheeky Sunday birding. We started with a saunter along to North Pool - which revealed a downy Wheatear (local breeder or migrant?), Whimbrel, Spoonbill, Bittern and Night Heron... 

SAY WHAT! Yeah,  you heard. No sooner had I pulled out my overnight oats, raspberries, pecans and chia seeds for brekkie - then BOOM! I spotted a grey-winged heron flying east to west over the visitors centre. Why am I like this? 

To confirm, that is a distance of some 900m away, spotting a bird I've never seen before, in flight. What a way to lifer. I mean - stunning, simply stunning... 

After North Pool and the flight views of Night Heron, Spoonbill and even Bittern - we enjoyed a coffee and scone at the visitor centre - still gaining views of Spoonbill, godwits and harriers from the centre window! Re-fuelled we motioned for Bishop's Hide and saw birders on East Bank beyond - getting views of the Night Heron! We'd already had a couple of flight views but decided to join the hoi polloi for perched views. Well, obscured views... 

Night Heron - Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

Night Heron - Cley Marshes - 24th July 2022

I accept there may be better photos - maybe - but it's nice to get a memento shot of the bird which I lifered.

Another highlight at Cley was close views of Bearded Tit, as well as learning that Spoonbill fledglings are called Teaspoons! Is this general knowledge? If so, why did not one tell me before?

So, onto the birding related fitness program... this isn't a joke. I've started training for the next Dove Step and indulged some tricep dips on the bench at North Hide and even squatted my tripod at Swanton Novers Raptor Watchpoint. Which got me thinking - as well as generally improving the standard of birding - I could improve the fitness of birders! I made an initial info-graphic below. Might need some tweaking, but you get the idea... 

Tweet @Step_Dove to register interest for the 2023 intake

As well as working out - we enjoyed views of Honey Buzzard, Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Red Kites from the watchpoint, an excellent way to close-off proceedings, even in 30 degree heat! 

Sightings - Swanton Novers Watchpoint - 24th July 2022

Selfie - Swanton Novers Watchpoint - 24th July 2022

Comments

Popular Posts